When you think of Spain what is the first thought that comes to your mind? A hot sunny day, the beach maybe? But when the summer moves to the other hemisphere what can you do in the colder months? Definitely quite a few things. Read further to see what you can do in Alicante during the winter time.
Traveling off-season has its advantages, it’s much cheaper and not as busy. And the greatest advantage of them all is that you have the beach all to yourself ?. Dare to go for a swim?
Alicante is quite international, lots of nationalities work and study here. The city is always buzzing and offers lots of activities and events every day. Regardless of weather you’re traveling, solo, with friends, as a couple or with family, these are great ways to get you out of your comfort zone, expand your circle of friends and get you familiar with the Spanish way of life.
If you are a person that loves to connect with other people, go to events, exchange ideas, and overall have a great time with people from all over the world then you are going to enjoy these places.
- Sip and Wonder it’s a cozy and welcoming place in the heart of Alicante. They organize different events, language exchange meetups every Thursday and live music every Saturday. The place is always packed with people and during the day you can bring your laptop and work there. To keep up with all the activities check out their Facebook page.
- Freaks Arts Bar&Gallery is another great location where internationals meet up every Friday for language exchange.
- Internations Alicante it is an online expat community where people can connect and meet at different events. It is a pretty interesting platform. I’ve only had great experiences and met really nice people.
If you’re passionate about dancing and want to learn or practice salsa, bachata and kizomba these locations are perfect for it.
- Capitan Haddock is located in the harbor and offers classes of salsa, bachata and kizomba during the week and the weekend followed by social dance where you get to practice even more. Check their page to see the activities and prices (and it’s pretty cheap, 5 euro per class).
- La Bemba Salsa Pub is a smaller place than the previous one, also offering the same types of dance classes. Check their page to see the activities and prices.
In case you don’t feel like socializing or dancing you can choose to adventure in the mountains, either hiking or rock climbing in Petrer, Puig Campana, Guadalest.
There are so many restaurants in Alicante and sometimes can be difficult to choose. If you’re vegan, vegetarian or if you want to try out something new I can suggest you these places that I’ve tried and really loved. And the prices are super affordable.
Other places where I had great food are:
- Cabana grill is a meat place but offers delicious vegan burgers.
- Vegan Bombon it’s an all vegan cake shop with delightful cakes, cinnamon rolls and all kind of sweets.
- In Bocca al Lupo it is an Italian restaurant which can veganize certain dishes like pasta, pizza.
These are some of the things that I like to do in Alicante during winter time and maybe you’ll like them too. If you have some other ideas or know some cool places to hang out and meet people let me know in the comments.